Friday, December 14, 2007

Back on the Tube

Ron was finally lucid, he knows about the blog, and every one of you who sent wishes and prayers. Unfortunately, his lungs were not up to the job. He was breathing too fast for the ICU teams' comfort (I disagree) and blood oxygen was slipping so a decision was made to reintubate. This means back to square one. I truly believe that it is the ICU that is making him sicker, it would make me sick to be here so long. Very artificial, uncomfortable and disorienting. His mental status is tenuous, but was coming around. I am not as confident any longer in the decisions that are being made and whether they are being made to minimize hospital risk or maximize patient well-being. After a week of seeing the dynamics of decision making and personalities, I could write a book. (Maybe I will). It is likely to be another long road back. I am distressed, it was so wonderful to have Ron back, if only briefly.

More tomorrow.

Unhappy Carol

2 comments:

Ari said...

Mom, I love you. I'm so glad that Dave and I saw him in the brief window of conciousness. I'm so sorry that this happened and I wish I could be with you. Seriously, the word that perfectly describes this is whiplash. Things just turn around so quickly, it boggles the mind.

You take care of yourself too, okay? And go easy on them. We know what you're like with 'bad service.' We trust and love you, mom, so do what you need to do. Just don't massacre them, please.

It was so wonderful for that brief and shining moment - he was joking, mom! He told us he loved us and the cats, because he fed both! He smiled!! Okay, so what that he made hand signals telling us to all run out of here.... He was laughing! He *was* having trouble breathing though.

Please call me when you get a moment. I miss you.

Steve Isham said...

Marion and I just got back ... away from home and the net all day. What a blow. We pray and will continue. I so appreciate Ari's snapshot of the moments with her lucid joking dad. Dear Lord please speed his recovery.