Sunday, December 16, 2007

Progress

Ron had a quiet night, finally getting some rest. He has been on some powerful antibiotics. His X-rays show his lungs have improved. He is still on the ventilator, but only mildly sedated. He is completely lucid and can communicate using a letter chart, eyes and hand gestures (ITCH, How much longer?). He likes the new unit MUCH better and so do I. MICU (Medical ICU), it is noticeably less INTENSE than SICU (Surgical ICU).

FYI, there are 8 intensive care units altogether, with 23 beds per unit. I am considering writing and ethnographic research paper on the culture of ICU, I certainly have enough 'field' hours logged. This unit has a more 'laid back' personality and much more attentive residents. They are more accustomed to long term cases. They also ask questions and listen to the answers. If he has to be in ICU, feel very confident this is the right place for Ron right now.

The plan is to try extubating tomorrow and the doctor is "90% positive" it will work tomorrow, but doesn't want to risk trying today, to give it every chance of working. 24 hours post extubation, he will be moved to a regular hospital floor.

Note to self: Never let Ron go to a doctor's office alone every again. I plan to be as informed about Ron's health from now on as I am about my own. I suggest all of you do the same!

Carol

4 comments:

jane powers said...

Hi Carol,
I've been emailing you but getting nothing back so I am tring from here. The news sounds hopeful for Ron. I'm glad you took things into your own hands regarding his care. Fortunately for him, he had an advocate on his behalf. I chuckled at your comment about going with your husband to the Dr. You are not the first to say such a thing. Makes me wonder whatelse I don't know about Chris. :)
Tell Ron we are praying for him as are the people from my Cincinnati church and my brother's church in Iowa. That's a lot of people pulling for him.
Check you email,
sue

Lowell & Tina said...

Carol, good for you! Keep the staff on their toes. This is your loved one and accept nothing less than what "you" feel should be provided; care, questions/answers, overall staff communication etc. Praying for an even better day for Ron tomorrow and hopefully prep for moving to new floor. Praying that you would get the much needed rest that you probably are not getting right now. And praying the kids would continue to stay strong on their parents behalf. Things are being taken care of here. You seem to have the right people in the right places so have peace knowing that. And shame on Ron for with holding info from you! :) Remind me to have words with him when he's upright and walking.MEN! ha...Until tomorrow...Tina

Unknown said...

Carol,
Was away from my computer yesterday, so you can imagine my surprise to see the turn of events!

Glad you finally have a diagnosis and something real to treat.

All of this makes me think back on the great evenings Ron, you, Jesse, me, and various other friends spent in Michigan City. Cooking, sampling fine wine, and debating myriads of topics in depth. Those debates lead me to believe ("know") Ron had plenty of kick and fight in him. He will fight through this to debate again!!

God bless you and your family. I was impressed with Ari's posting!

Tell Ron to take a DEEP breath of LIFE!!!

Love, Maggie

artafact said...

Hi Carol and Ron,
THANK YOU for this blog. We have been tracking Ron's progress since Friday night and hoping and praying for better news.
We're so glad that he is once again on the path to recovery and hope now that it is SPEEDY.
I tried posting comments earlier but was having trouble with the application and had to reset my user log-in, etc.
Love to you and your family,
John and Linda