Saturday, December 15, 2007

Taking Charge

I spoke with a hospital administrator last night to let them know I am not going to accept the sloppy shift changes where little information passes. They are allowing me to remain and no major decision will be made tonight without my input. As Ron's power of attorney, I have refused pain medication on Ron's behalf, over strident objections of the critical care doctor.He is not in pain and it makes him foggy. He is on minimal sedation and is completely calm and responsive. (We had a talk about the need for cooperation very quickly before they reintubated). The nurse is impressed.

The situation is that unless the CT scan that was done at 1 AM shows something wrong there is no medical issue that he is being treated for... no illness, no pain, no nothing. Just the lungs. Given that, I am not going to accept another few days of this, which will only make him sicker. Please pray for continued calm from Ron, strength for me, and listening hearts for the medical team. (We could also use a much better nurse than we had yesterday).

Stay tuned...

Carol

2 comments:

Mark said...

That's a lot for you to go through. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery on both sides (yours and his) and I will continue to pray until this whole ordeal is done.

Adam Wurst said...

Carol,

I've been listening and praying with a lot of interest and concern (for your whole family and Ari, in particular). Good for you for taking the lead on Ron's care! You are Ron's greatest ally and defense for his whole well-being. Thanks, too, for naming specific ways to pray. I'll keep doing so.

On a separate note, Ari has had a busy week musically and has done a fabulous job with everything she's been involved with! I'm proud of her in so many ways.

Adam Wurst.